Episode 132: Interview with Jessica Flory
In today's episode of the Thriving Authors Podcast, I’m excited to be talking with Jessica Flory about her debut novel Oceans of Sand, a clean fantasy romance. It was fun to hear what it has been like for her in this season of taking her book from draft to published and also celebrating that she's working on her sequel right now too!
I just love her energy and her vulnerability as she shared:
- How she managed her disappointment and discouragement when trying to get published.
- Why she recommends going to writers conferences and the value she’s found in attending them.
- What she did during the waiting period between signing her book contract and seeing it on the shelf.
- When she decided that she was going to write a sequel.
- How the process of writing the sequel was different from the first one, what challenges came up and how she was able to overcome them.
- What she tells herself to get negative reviews out of her head.
I think you’ll find how she developed a habit of writing consistently for 15 minutes a day very inspiring!
And, did you hear? I’m launching my book 📖 Your Book Matters: 52 love notes from my creative heart to yours 😍 SOON and I want YOU to be a part of the launch team! As part of the launch team you get a FREE digital copy of the book (plus you get to read it in advance of publication), access to a special bonus call with me, and a chance to win a $50 Amazon gift card to treat yourself to all fresh writing supplies & your favorite snacks! Join the team here: bit.ly/yourbookmatterslaunchteam
Jessica Flory writes clean fantasy/romance. She has a bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology from BYU, Provo, and she uses that science background to dream up cool settings and magic systems. Jessica has been a proud member of the Hot Mess Writers Critique Group since 2013.
Jessica is a mom of three crazy boys and one girl. She is a fitness instructor and an avid baker. When she’s not writing, she can be found chasing her kids, making a mess in the kitchen, or reading with her husband. Connect with her at jessicaflory.com.